- Oct 11
- Haneke’s THE WHITE RIBBON hitting the US in January
- Posted by Adgy - 11/10/09 at 09:02 AM
Southern California's arthouse theater chain Laemmle Theaters does a lot of good things for film fans in the region. One of those things is to keep their "coming soon" page up to date with release dates up to 4 months in advance. So that the discerning filmgoer has plenty of time to plan their trips in advance and so that obsessed film geeks can get overly excited about upcoming screenings months in advance and then post the news on websites, thereby generating more interest in the films and, hopefully, more business for the theaters. Sounds like a fantastic marketing plan to me.
If you go to that page now and scroll down to the bottom, you'll notice that Michael Haneke's newest film, The White Ribbon, is scheduled to open on January 8, 2010, a month earlier than has previously been expected. The film won the coveted Palme d'Or for best picture at this year's Cannes Film Festival and, as previously reported, will represent Germany at this year's Academy Awards in the best foreign language film competition. It's being distributed in the US by Sony Pictures Classics.
The date is, of course, subject to change and so far no other dates or cities seem to have been made public, but rest assured that once they are, you'll hear about it here. In the meantime, if you're a discerning film fanatic in the LA area, you now have an excuse to go out and get a 2010 calendar.
- Korean crime thriller FRIEND 2 gets U.S release
- A GAME OF ASSASSINS finally starts on Dec 26
- Epic KING NARESUAN series reaches number 5!?
- Are we ready for a FIRESTORM?!
- Hong Kong celebrates new year AS THE LIGHT GOES OUT
- Poster & trailer for Malay horror THE TRANSCEND
- New poster for THE EXTREME FOX
- Official poster and trailer for NINJA II: SHADOW OF A TEAR