- Nov 24
- NINJA SCROLL: Re-mastered special edition DVD review
- Posted by Deljhp - 24/11/12 at 12:06 PM
Director: Yoshiaki Kawajiri. Review: Adam Wing.
Along with animated classics Ghost in the Shell and Akira, Ninja Scroll is one of the most influential works of anime action cinema. Written and directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Wicked City, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) Ninja Scroll was made by the same animation house that gave us Paprika, Perfect Blue and the celebrated series Death Note. The success of the movie spawned a 13 episode TV series back in 2003 and its influence on our shores has been felt ever since its 90’s debut.
Ninja Scroll has not only stood the test of time, it still stands head and shoulders above most of the movies made today, in terms of animation, style and sheer brutality. Combining everything that is popular about Japanese filmmaking, Ninja Scroll takes shocking violence, sex, death, action and intrigue and positively drowns the screen in anarchic entertainment. Not to mention fountains of blood, surreal imagery and exhilarating fight sequences.
It was a sight for sore eyes when it first appeared on UK shores, and none of the magic has died in the years since then. Prepare to be blown away all over again by the birth of Ninja Scroll in glorious high definition. Kawajiri’s classic makes its first appearance on Blu-ray this month courtesy of Manga Entertainment, available in a limited edition Double Play Blu-ray/DVD Steelbook as well as separately on both formats...Continue reading review.
- UK Poster and trailer for THE GRANDMASTER
- ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI punches onto US DVD
- UK trailer for HERO OF SHAOLIN
- Thailand has released DANGEROUS BOYS
- KUNG FU KILLER arrives in 2015
- RABID DOGS arrive on UK DVD & Blu
- English subbed trailer for VENGEANCE OF AN ASSASSIN
- Hellboy, Robocop, The Punisher and Jaa ply SKIN TRADE