- Nov 13
- PAINTED SKIN: THE RESURRECTION - U.S. DVD Review
- Posted by Deljhp - 13/11/12 at 07:18 PM
Director: Wuershan. Review: Stan Glick.
The Chinese supernatural, fantasy box-office hit PAINTED SKIN: THE RESURRECTION is available tomorrow in the U.S. on DVD, Blu-ray, and Digital (the later meaning, I assume, digital download). This review is of the single disc DVD version.
Long ago, a demon fox spirit named Xiaowei (Zhou Xun, who reprises her role from the original PAINTD SKIN of 2008), fell in love with a human. When she saved him, she violated the laws of demons. This back-story is a very brief synopsis of the original film, which I must acknowledge I haven’t seen. This is no handicap, however, as THE RESURRECTION is a most-satisfying stand-alone tale.
As the film begins, Xiaowei has been imprisoned in ice for five hundred years for her transgression. But Quer (Mini Yang), a bird demon, has been attracted by her face and sets Xiaowei free by pecking at the ice. Pursued by demons, she is saved by a masked figure she assumes to be a man. But it is really Princess Jing (Vicki Zhao, .K.. Wei Zhao, who played a character named Pei Rong in the first film), one of the emperor’s fourteen daughters.
Eight years earlier, the right side of Jing’s face had been disfigured by the claws of a huge black bear. Her guardian at the time, Huo Xin (who played General Wang Sheng in the original PAINTED SKIN) blamed himself for failing to protect her. Though both have always had strong feelings for one another, Huo Xin could not permit himself to act on them because of his non-royal status...Continue review here.
- THE BURBS: Blu-ray review
- The Vault: AKIRA
- NIGHT OF THE COMET on Blu isn’t a million miles away
- A South African horrorFest is coming!
- Donnie’s back to rumble in the KUNG FU JUNGLE
- English subbed trailer for Thai horror THE SWIMMERS
- The Vault: ADRIFT IN TOKYO
- Kim Ki-duk’s MOEBIUS is coming to UK DVD this October