- Jun 06
- Swedish thriller WALLANDER: THE REVENGE opening in LA
- Posted by Adgy - 06/06/12 at 04:31 PM
Swedish crime films have been getting a lot more attention since the explosion of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, so now seems like the perfect time for Music Box to bring Wallander: The Revenge to the States. Based on an original story by "The Godfather of Swedish Crime" Henning Mankell, the film is actually a 91-minute installment of a Swedish TV series, that was good enough for the people behind it to decide to give it a theatrical release, and hopefully capitalize some on the current popularity of Swedish crime films.
Wallander is playing in New York right now and will be opening at the Laemmle Music Hall 3 near Los Angeles this Friday. In addition, Music Box has made 13 of the Wallander "films" available for on VOD iTunes, Amazon and Vudu, as well as on DVD. A great opportunity to get in on the ground floor of this gritty, intelligent series. Highly recommended.
Synopsis: The Revenge begins with Kurt Wallander celebrating his 62nd birthday, having achieved his lifelong dream of purchasing a house by the sea. Suddenly, a heavy explosion disrupts the peace and quiet in Ystad, knocking out the town's lone power transformer. When more explosions follow, the military is called in and the little town starts to look like a war zone. Are the explosions acts of sabotage? Or terrorism directed at a local Islamic exhibition? Everything is in chaos as Wallander navigates through the darkness to track down the culprits.
More info on the series at Henning Mankell's website
- MANIAC (2013): DVD Review
- Martial arts fest THE KING OF THE STREETS on U.S DVD
- U.S theatrical release for Asian action fest THE GUILLONTINES
- A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD: Blu-ray Review
- Trailer for J-horror HANAKO SAN
- THE FLU arrives in Korea this summer
- Takashi Miike’s FOR LOVE’S SAKE: DVD review
- French horror THE RETURNED set to air on UK TV