- Jul 09
- Taiwanese exploitation horror ZOMBIE 108: DVD Review
- Posted by Deljhp - 09/07/12 at 05:22 PM
Director: Joe Chein. Review: Adam Wing.
Sometimes a movie falls through your letterbox and you just know you’re going to love it. Even if, as in the case of Joe Chein’s Zombie 108, you know it goes against your better judgement. Joe Chein had a game plan going into this, there’s no other way of explaining it. He knows that there’s a market for this kind of filth (and it is filth), so he ramped it up, repackaged it, and booted it into the stratosphere. Zombie 108 isn’t just a zombie movie. Chein knows – with the walking dead sprouting up all over the place – you need to take a bigger bite if you’re going to satisfy an insatiable zombie horror fan base. So not only is he launching a horde of decaying corpses at your TV screen, he’s throwing in a huge dollop of torture porn for added detestation. Zombies, torture porn, naked flesh and degradation - Chein’s film was made for a certain kind of film fan. Our kind of film fan.
After surviving a deadly car crash, a young lady pulls herself from the wreckage and tries to find her daughter. Unbeknown to her, a catastrophic accident at a top-secret research lab has released a deadly virus into the city and all hell is breaking loose. Chein is happy to obey the rules of zombie horror in the opening act, with an all out assault on the sense and senseless. Our protagonists (if you can call them that) are a ragtag bunch of misfits, murderers, gangsters and police officers. Controlled by a local crime lord, District 108 is the one place in the city the police don't want to go on a normal day. But today is not a normal day, and the crack SWAT team ordered to help evacuate the uninfected must do just that. The local gangs don’t take too kindly to the intrusion, and both sides suffer heavy casualties before they realise that the enemy is not – by definition – living amongst them...Continue review.
- Indie horror THE HUMAN RACE gets picked up for release
- New poster for HK horror TALES FROM THE DARK: Part 1
- TV spot for Hideo Nakata’s THE COMPLEX
- This new clip from Neil Jordan’s BYZANTIUM
- Full program for 13th Nippon Connection Film Festival
- Teaser poster for Korean horror thriller DOCTOR
- Korean blockbuster MASQUERADE on US DVD
- English trailer for Chinese chiller THE INCREDIBLE TRUTH