- Aug 01
- TOKYO GORE POLICE: Review #2
- Posted by Deljhp - 01/08/09 at 09:52 AM
Director: Yoshihiro Nishimura. Review: Tim Irwin.
In what is surely one of the bloodiest films since Peter Jackson's Brain Dead, Yoshihiro Nishimura brings us the culmination (so far) of Japanese shock. It seems as though everyone involved had watched all of Takeshi Miike's movies and jammed as much of his craziness as they could into their own movie. The star here, Eihi Shiina, even starred in Miike's Audition. Some of the guys from Machine Girl were involved, too, and the fight choreographer from ‘Versus’ and ‘Azumi’ performed the same job here. It's almost as if everyone involved with Japan's low-budge shock cinema got together and somehow found a bunch of money. Tokyo Gore Police is the result.
There is actually a story, though you may be surprised to hear it. Tokyo's police department has now been privatized. All the cops dress in silly hats that look like rooftops and wear a lot of armour. Their primary enemies are engineers, people who have a genetic key implanted in their brain that makes any wounds they suffer sprout into weapons. For instance, if you're an engineer and attacking some cops with a chainsaw, and they shoot your chainsaw arm off, you will promptly grow a new arm, complete with organic chainsaw. Then you continue killing the cops. Until, that is, Ruka comes along. She's been raised by the police chief to be a master engineer hunter. Her father's head was exploded in front of her when she was young, and she's now a very sombre character. She's also quite pretty and, of course, looks cool yielding her katana and cutting people in half...Continue reading review here.
- EDDIE: THE SLEEPWALKING CANNIBAL quickie review
- MANIAC (2013): DVD Review
- Martial arts fest THE KING OF THE STREETS on U.S DVD
- U.S theatrical release for Asian action fest THE GUILLONTINES
- A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD: Blu-ray Review
- Trailer for J-horror HANAKO SAN
- THE FLU arrives in Korea this summer
- Takashi Miike’s FOR LOVE’S SAKE: DVD review